Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Parkinsonism's.

Yesterday Dad had a wonderful time at the day centre. There was lots of festivity, singing of carols, yummy treats to eat and lots of smiles from everyone. It was lovely to see.

But on a more sour note. The evening before Dad was having trouble again going to the toilet. Its when he needs to use his bowels that it happens. I was asking every few minutes, 'are you ok'.
Dad replied yes. After about 15 minutes I knew something was wrong and asked again. Dad said,'no I can't stand up, I told you so before' (he hadn't). I ask him why he can't stand up, ( I was kinda scared). Dad replies, 'I just can't'. I ask him has he wiped. 'No'. Through the next few minutes of conversation I work out that he had been trying to get 'IT' out manually. This also happened with this gentleman http://livingwithlewybodyebook.blogspot.com/ at 'digging for diamonds' entry. Oh dear! Have to give instructions to Dad to 'wipe and drop the paper'. Poor Dad drops the paper on the floor. I eventually get him off the loo and nail brushed finger nails etc. I help him up to his room and he says 'he is sorry and he wants to kill himself'. Dad still has quite good cognitive functions (most of the time). I take a big breath and tell him "you're 75, I guess you have to expect somethings not to be quite right'. He says, 'yes, I'm still lucky there are a lot of people worse off'. He never ceases to amaze me.
The next day I go to the chemist and have a chat with the pharmacist. He recommends Genlac which will bulk up and help the bowel muscles to automatically work. I will wait till after Christmas day to begin because we will be out at my cousins, just in case there's a problem.
Dad sees the Geriatrician in January. I will feel better once I can talk to him.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you post about the 'indelicate' things also. These kind of posts give personal insight into dealing with dementia/Parkinson's. These kind of posts help people just as much, if not more, as the medical sites do.
    Keep up the good work (at home and here)!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the above post to be from my other blog name. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No.1;
    I can't begin to tell you how much it means to read where my husband and my blog is helping you along your journey. I had so wished there had been one when we started ours. It was the only thing that kept us sane.

    I am so sorry you must travel this road. But reading your blog from start to present, I have learned so much that would have helped me help my dad, if only I had known. I am convienced that many well meaning drs. caused my dad's LBD to progress more rapidly by the medications they prescribed.

    I unfortunatly did not know that the side effects I witnessed were drug induced. Every drug you have listed as a bad LBD drug, they had my Dad on. I think the Haladrol was what finally killed him.

    Maybe it was a blessing...no doubt it was in his state, but if you can keep the few good days around longer it is certainly worth watching those meds.

    Thanks for reading about my Dad. It keeps him alive and with us.

    Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi..............thought you might be interested in this.

    I just published a post to join the Dementia Webring so you can share similar interests and concerns with others! A ring will help more visitors find you quickly and easily by using the RingSurf Viewer which lets you navigate easily between sites in your ring


    There is also a link on the top left of my blog if you decide to join or browse at a later date.

    David Thomas MD


    http://knittingdoc.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara,

    Thanks for the emails. Hope your xmas was wonderful. I just read your latest post and are horrified at the inhumane heart of the economics of how the people where you work are being treated. It's a sad old world when the almighty dollar is placed over life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pauline,

    You and your hubby did such an amazing job of caring for your father. I am saddened and angry that perhaps your Fathers Dr's could have been more well informed about the medication issues facing Lewy people.

    I know I wouldn't be coping now if it wasn't for your blog.
    To you and your family all the best for the fesitive season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello David,

    Thankyou for the RingSurf Viewer info and to be honest I went to the link etc but wasn't sure if I was to copy/paste into the url. So my computer savvy daughter will be home later and then...'voila'.

    Hope Chad's surgery went well and that you and your family had a terrific xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello David,

    Lesson learnt...don't ask computer savvy daughter for help after double shift. I'm pleased I was able to work it out myself.

    ReplyDelete