Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dad's bowel movements...it has to be discussed.

Dad's constipation is getting worse...
Over the past 6-8 months Dad's bowel movements have changed.
I have gone from giving him a Sennetab (sennoside.B 7.5mg) 1 every 2 days to 1 every day to now, 2 every day. He also groans. When I first heard the sound I thought it sounded like a cow giving birth. I have read a blog where the person said it sounds like the noise a whale makes. It certainly is a different noise to the sounds an average person makes when constipated.
From reading http://livingwithlewybodyebook.blogspot.com/2008/04/what.html I realise this is the Parkinson part. His stomach muscles freezing. I have noticed over the past 2 months a few episodes of Dad freezing, to the spot, can't walk or talk. This happens more if he is trying to navigate his way into a chair. I think I need to keep a diary of Dad's bowel movements. To make sure he keeps regular and pain free and also if I need to discuss with Dr.
He also likes to tell me about his bowel movements. My Dad's private nature is changing. Sometimes at inappropriate moments. My Dad, Daughter and I were recently with a Real Estate Agent an Dad said how 'he thought the change in altitude had helped his bowel movements', huh! Later we all had dinner out and Dad said it was one of his best days he had had in ages.
Dad eats fruit, veges, beans/legumes and only whole grain bread. But next grocery shop I will be getting prune juice and stewed prunes. Hopefully this will help.
Over the past year I have noticed he eats a lot slower. Occasionally, he has taken 50 minutes to eat his dinner. He was having problems chewing red meat. So now we eat more chicken and fish (Dad loves fish) and occasionally pasta.
Dad is having a good day but gets confused as to what the time is. He is looking forward to spending Christmas day at my cousins. Dads sense of time is now child like, weeks appear to be months to him. But overall he is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment