Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fluctuations.

The fluctuations in Dad's motor skills and cognitive functions have lasted from a few minutes to a couple of weeks. Months ago he was having difficulty manoeuvring himself into his clothes, this lasted 2 weeks and then he was managing again.
Over the past month I have noticed Dad trying harder to anchor and position himself within the day. He asks after each meal, is there another meal to come.
I have also noticed a change when he feels lost. He would shout out 'It's John here', as if he knew there was someone in the house with him. But throughout the early hours of this morning he woke, and came down the hallway, shouting, 'Is anybody there'. He was frightened and thought there was no one else at home. My youngest daughter and myself, we were both at home and in our rooms, asleep. We got up, reassured him and Dad would go back to bed and to sleep. I feel like he is on a precipice. I only hope these changes are fluctuations and aren't permanent.
I think he, in some way, is aware of these changes because later he didn't want to get out of bed. He was depressed.
Dad never, ever and I mean never wants to stay in bed. Around 11 am I asked him if he wants to have brekky. He got up had brekky and a shower and just now is laughing at something on TV. He never ceases to amaze me. How he can bounce back.

No comments:

Post a Comment