Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day 08'

We all had a wonderful day at my cousins for Christmas lunch and dinner. Lots of yummy food and the most amazing professional xmas cake made by cousin's hubby who is a pastry chef...some people have talent. Dad was given a chicken for Oxfam and I, women's support for Oxfam. And I got my favorite, books, from my girls. Thanks family for a lovely day.

Dad had a great day and was happy. His cognitive functions were quite good but his Parkinson symptoms were playing up. It's his bowels again. I have increased the senna tablets to the maximum dosage per day, 2 in the morning 2 at night plus after each meal I give him 10 pitted prunes. After reading more about Parkinson symptoms I have decided to not start the Genlac until I speak to the Geriatrician. The Genlac helps by bulking up which in turn helps the muscles to automatically work but if Dad's muscles aren't following commands and he bulks up and can't expel he will be in worse pain. So throughout Christmas Day Dad was having trouble working his bowels.
When we were leaving and getting into the car his muscles froze but I was able to talk him into position...put your bottom back...lift your leg into the car. On the way home I drove Dad to see some local amazing house all lit up with Xmas lights. When we were children it was a Xmas tradition to go see the decorated houses on the Boulevard.
At 3.00 am Dad was up, naked in the hallway. He had had an incontinence episode. I was soooo tired...strip bed, had wet through mattress protector, turn mattress over, change Dad, don't put any sheets on bed...help him back in to bed. Go back to my room...could hear him shouting out...I could only shout back...you are ok, go to sleep...peace reigned, wonderful.

I have noticed Dad becoming more and more rigid when I help him into bed. He is becoming board like. This evening, he at first knelt on the bed but couldn't swing down to a horizontal position. So I sat him on the edge and helped his torso down, his legs shot up and I swung his legs across onto the mattress. I could have swung him, pivoting on his hip, like the hand of a clock. Even though he was laying down on the mattress, he looked like he was perched and could have fallen.

It was most important that Dad had a great xmas...and he did.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you and Dad had a great Xmas. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete