Thursday, December 11, 2008

Introducing Dad.

Dad is 75 and has Lewy Body Dementia and Alzheimers. I'm not going to reveal his identity because he has always been a very private, quiet man and I don't think he would like his life displayed.
Dad has 3 children. I'm the eldest and only daughter. I am Dad's sole carer.
Mum passed away last year, aged 67, from COPD. I was also Mum's carer for her last 2 years. Mum's illness included 2 months in intensive care, months in hospital and months in rehab. I took Dad to the hospital everyday. For a period of 6 weeks during the suctioning stage, I stayed overnight with Mum. My youngest daughter minded Dad and brought him to the hospital each day.
Also living with us is one of my brothers who suffers from mild Aspergers. It was a very difficult time for him whilst Mum was so sick and after Mum passed away for him as Mum had always cared for him. He experienced great degrees of anger which did not help Dad with his illness and grief. Things have settled down a lot and my brother is now coping well.
I have 2 adult daughters, one married and studying and my youngest is at Uni.

I have a wonderful cousin who was my rock throughout Mum's illness, through decision's of resuscitation and intubation (twice). I can never thank her enough.

That's us in a nutshell. An introduction to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment