Friday, December 12, 2008

B12 injection.

It's 2.30 pm and so far Dad is having a good day. He has an appointment at family Drs for his B12 injection.
He has just had a shower. I get his clothes ready for him, get his towel, put then in bathroom and adjust the taps. The shampoo bottle is always purple and in the same spot. Everything is always in the same spot. This helps to reduce his confusion and stress levels. Dad is able to wash himself and dress himself. If I leave too much for him to organise, ie if I leave his clothes on his bed and he has to bring them down hallway and put them in bathroom. He ends up walking up and down the hallway, worrying, if he has forgotten something. He then worries where he will put the clothes, ie on the edge of the bath or on the towel rail. As his confusion gets worse he will then worry where to put his dirty clothes, it becomes too much for him to organise. So organising things for him keeps him from stressing.
He then gets the electric shaver from the nearby linen closet. It used to be kept in his room but I need it to be in my view because Dad pulled 3 shavers apart, breaking the internal wheels. Now I can see him get the shaver out and put it away.
For approximately the past 6 months Dad has had problems with phlegm. He has had chest x-rays and lungs are clear. But throughout the day and night he coughs and clears into a tissue. After reading livingwithlewybodyebook@blogspot.com I know that this will get worse. From what I have read I think this is part of the decrease in the ability to swallow.
Dad is watching TV now, my turn for a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment