Friday, December 19, 2008

Dad's Parkinson symptoms flare up.

I thought twice about writing what happened last night. But as I thought over the events I realised it's only because of this blog that I was able to work out why, what happened, happened.
If Dad thought this may help someone else in my shoes he would be ok with writing about it.

I mentioned yesterday feeling like Dad was on a precipice...well last night I could see the beginnings of Lewy smothering out my Dad.

After dinner Dad's conversation went something like this...
Dad: I have to get 2 bits of metal that cut different shapes.
Me: Oh, ok why?
Dad:You put half one side, half the other and you get more. It's a bit hard to explain.
Me: Ok, then what happens.
Dad: You can turn 2 bottles of lemonade into 3.
I gave him 2 pens and he laid them out and showed me where another would go. I managed to curtail the urgency by saying he didn't need to make it tonight, that it could wait till tomorrow.
So then it was time for Dad to go to bed...He went to the toilet and came out saying he had a dirty bottom. I get his P.J's and turn shower on for him. He was taking his time, I hadn't heard the shower door close. Thought better check. He opens the door and he had pooed on the bathroom floor, (one good thing no sign of constipation) but oh dear, my poor Dad...try to remain calm and show him this doesn't bother me. Kitchen paper got rid of that (remember to write list, rubber gloves, antiseptic hand wash etc). Dad has shower and I help him to get into his P.J's. His Parkinson symptoms were playing up. He can't get dressed in the bathroom anymore. It's too dangerous, if he was too fall. Remember, from now on, dressing gown it to his room.
Later that evening I was trying to work out why it happened. Was it Dad's cognitive functions declining and he didn't know where he was. No, he was able to shower, get the towel and dry himself and then I remembered reading this blog where the gentleman with Lewy became frozen, perched above the toilet for about 15 minutes. Now it made sense to me. Dad couldn't navigate his way down onto the toilet. I now, know to watch out for him when he goes to the toilet. (there's a safety rail in the shower time to get them fitted to the toilet walls). And I only know this from the honest, detailed approach the carer's and author's took writing their journey with their Father/Father-in-law and Lewy and I thank them.

3 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease a year ago at the age of 68. For several months I had noticed tremors in my right hand and the shaking of my right foot when I was sitting. My normally beautiful cursive writing was now small cramped printing. And I tended to lose my balance. Neurologist had me walk down the hall and said I didn’t swing my right arm. I had never noticed! I was in denial for a while as there is no history in my family of parents and five older siblings, but now accept I had classic symptoms. I was taking pramipexole (Sifrol), carbidopa/levodopa and Biperiden, 2 mg. and started physical therapy to strengthen muscles. nothing was really working to help my condition.I went off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on parkinson’s herbal formula i ordered from Solution Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula. i am now almost 70 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed!! Visit there website www.solutionhealthherbalclinic.com or E-mail: solutionsherbalclinic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation @gmail.com or totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2016 there's a herbal foundation in Cape Town they cured my husband  Alzheimer's disease . Pm me i will give their details. People can search about them on Google or youtube (Multivitamin Care ). My husband faced many difficulties and was in several depression, Trouble understanding visual image, aggression ,so many,. This thing happened to him at a very crucial stage of our life. The biggest help we had was from multivitamincare org  .They walked us through the proper steps, I highly recommend these herbs to anyone suffering from disease .

    ReplyDelete