Thursday, March 12, 2009

What a relief.

Everything went really, really well. I told Dad this morning about having a holiday (respite) for a week. At first he was slightly troubled and wanted to phone my brother who lives interstate but as he sat and thought about it, he concluded by saying I wasn't having much of a life and that he was ok with the idea. Still never ceases to amaze me. So we went off and had a tour of this wonderful new facility that looks like it should be in Palm Springs and we were both super impressed with the facilities and activities. From what I could see of the interaction between staff and residents, it all looked great and people were smiling. Whilst we were there Dad seemed quite excited at the idea of staying there for a week and yes he is booked in to have a week from the 23rd of this month. Since being back home his anxieties about it have risen but if I keep him busy and occupied, hopefully it wont be too overwhelming for him. Tomorrow we are off to an airshow. He is going to love seeing the jet fighters and the old bombers. Personally I'm not into war machines but can appreciate the technology.
I am so very relieved that everything turned out well. I don't know what I would have done if he had have cried and said he didn't want to go.
I learnt a lot from Dad today and just hope if ever I am in his shoes one day that I too can be as diplomatic about it all as he was today.

1 comment:

  1. That's wonderful!! I hope he truly enjoys his stay there--and that you enjoy your time to yourself.
    (I misunderstood your previous post. I thought you were looking for a permanent place for him to reside......sorry!)

    ReplyDelete