Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Respite falls through and more changes with Dad.

I received a phone call from the care facility where Dad was going next week. They've had to cancel because they're taking an admission. I was so looking forward to having a break and Dad was looking forward to going. I'm so disappointed. I was actually planning a trip, searching online when I got the call. So the search begins again and all the paper work. We have an appointment on Monday to have a look another place. Fingers crossed.

Dad is losing more of awareness to time. He asks 'what's the next meal' throughout the day, I think as some way of anchoring him to the time. If has a nap he wakes and thinks it's breakfast time and is very confused that it's still the same day. He is also saying things which would if he was well could cause trouble within the family. He had a conversation with my cousin and he came across as if of the opinion that he and Mum were dwindled out of some shared lottery winnings. Since then he has said the opposite that he wanted me to give my cousin money because he thought him and Mum dwindled her out of them. He was quite upset and has asked me a few times no matter what to make it right with her. He also has said things about other family members, saying they said this and that. He also told the people at his day centre facility that my daughter won a scholarship, no she didn't. And when my daughters were in Japan he said to me he kept it all hush, hush and didn't tell anyone why they were there; huh! oh ok they were on holidays. If a well person said these things you would call them a troublemaker. I grit my teeth and have to put these things he says aside or I'd end up confused, worried or angry for days. This seems to be the beginning of him losing all sense of reality.

He has also taken to screaming out my name from another room if I don't immediately answer or go to the room to see what it is he wants. I may be on the phone and he wants the TV channel changed. Also I can tell him I'm going ie, out to garden or to the line and he forgets and screams out for me or comes searching for me. He is definitely becoming more frustrated with everything.

Dad also had an hallucination one night. He woke me up and said come and listen to what the woman who is sitting on the red blanket is saying. I have to say being woken at 3 am to hear this, half asleep myself, well it scared the living daylights out of me. He didn't seem frightened. If anything he sounded surprised and happy that she was there and he had someone to chat with.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry the facility canceled on you, that has to be rough to go through all that again and so close to the time when you are to leave on your holiday!
    I've encountered a couple instances of hallucinations. One was a resident who insisted there was a white horse in the lobby, the other swore the Mafia was after her and was standing there with a gun to her head. It can be very disturbing.
    The nurses would tell them there was no one/no horse there but it further confused them. You could just 'go along with it' and wait until the incident passes, or distract him with an offer of watching a tv show or getting a snack...???
    Some medications can cause the hallucinations. On the other hand, there are medicines to counteract them if they become a problem. You'll have to see his doctor about it.
    I hope you get to have your holiday and that all goes well with your father while you're gone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear the respite fell through but I hope the next place works out for you.

    My Dad has taken to screaming all the time, especially from the bedroom. We can't go in another room without him yelling out for us. I'm guessing it's just part of the Lewy cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoo boy, no respite AND the big time stuff is starting now, huh? Sigh...
    My deepest, most sincere well wishes to you. This is the hard part. It's when your level of frustration gets to its high, absolutely no doubt. My gosh, I think it will take decades for me to forget being in the midst of where you are. Reading that made me feel like I was there just yesterday. Remember the word "patience", even if you have to laugh at how ridiculous being patient is right now. When someone's whole life becomes a hallucination, there is no reasoning. But you will get through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your comments and concern. It helps me to re-focus and re-centre myself, if that makes sense. And to prepare, for what's to come.

    ReplyDelete