Sunday, March 15, 2009

Avalon Airshow

Friday I took Dad to the Avalon Airshow. It was very impressive, the F18's with their after burners flaring, spit-fires and their manoeuvres and the noise. But it was a stressful afternoon. As soon as we got in the gates Dad wanted to go back to the car. We had had a bit of a walk from the car so found him a seat to rest which I had to continuously do. Plus he wanted to go to the toilet heaps. So I had to plan strolls to look at planes, tanks, helicopters etc from a base of our very rare seats, near a toilet and after looking at one going back for a rest. We still managed to see quite a bit. After 3 hours Dad had had enough so we begun the walk back to the car. At the entrance I asked a shuttle mini-bus driver if they were taking people back to their cars, no, but explained that Dad was worn out. The very nice chap gave us a very much appreciated lift back to the car (it was a 10 min walk mmm 20-30 for Dad).
The drive home took us near where Dad and Mum grew up so I took Dad for fish'n'chips down at his old beach and a bit of a drive around his old town. The house his Dad built has been pulled down, his brothers house on the foreshore gone too and enormous houses have replaced them. But the house in which Mum and Dad lived when they first were married (and where I lived till I was 2) was still there.
Dad had a great day but in future I think I will plan quieter, less strenuous days for outings.

No comments:

Post a Comment