Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Respite went super well

Dad is home. I picked him up yesterday morning and he was bright and chirpy. When I arrived at 10 am the residents were in the lounge and an occupational therapist was throwing a ball to each person. One of the staff members said to me 'what a nice chap Dad is and how he loves to chat and that he is a smart man'. I couldn't agree more. I noticed driving home that Dad seemed to be listening to me more intently than he has for ages and was more engaged in our conversation. I was impressed. He seemed happier. He enjoyed the food, definitely the company and the stimulation from the activities and the outings. He didn't like the raised voices from staff. I asked him when did this happen and he explained when people wouldn't eat. I told him that it was important that the people concerned eat and I was pleased to hear that they follow through in maintaining levels of nourishment. I can remember when Mum was in hospital and an elderly chap in her ward couldn't feed himself. His daughter had to come in most days at meal times because there simply wasn't enough staff members to allow an hour or so in feeding this poor chap. I remember a nurse flying past and giving him a mouthful and returning 10 minutes later and another and then the plate was whisked away. Mum also commented that most times when the daughter wasn't there the food arrived and went without him having anything to eat.
I think Dad could understand when I explained that it was good that the staff persisted in getting some residents to eat.
It was a coincidence that on the way home Dad had an appointment with an occupational therapist concerning filling in a form. She took him into her office and asked questions and DAD REMEMBERED HIS DATE OF BIRTH...ohmg. When she came out she had written the date Dad had told her on a piece of paper and she showed me and I nodded. We were both impressed. The extra stimulation has done Dad the world of good...very impressed.
Last night Dad sat up later than usual with us watching TV. He seemed happier. This morning I awoke to Dad telling me he has stepped in dog poo near the back door. Why Dad was near the back door I don't know. The dog didn't pee also in his tray and there was Dad pee around the toilet floor and Daughter was running late for uni...a strange sigh of relief...back to normal.
I am so thankful that the respite stay went so extremely well.

3 comments:

  1. That is just fantastic! Is there an adult day care nearby where he can go once a week or so. That way, he gets that kind of stimulation more often. It would be nice for the both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting how people affected by these types of diseases perceive "normal"? I had to laugh at that, I so vividly remember feeling that way...sigh of relief...back to normal. Gotta love it.
    And HURRAY for respite! I'm so happy he 'remembers' that he enjoyed himself! Can't ask for much more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi seniorsafari, Dad goes on a Tues to day care and he loves it, may try to increase it to 2 days a wk.
    And hi to Laine, yep normal...gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete