Thursday, April 9, 2009

Phone call, re respite.

I got a phone call this morning from the respite facility manager. When she said her name my heart sank. I thought, oh no not again. But instead she phoned to tell me there had been a cancellation in April and was asking me if I wanted to take up the placement. So now Dad is having 2 weeks from April 14-27. In 5 days, oh my goodness! I'm looking forward to the break and I hope Dad enjoys having more company, more people to chat with but it's also very sad that things have had to come to this.
Most of us would have wonderful memories where a parent has done something so special that it remains with us always. Well, when I was in prep (first year at primary school), I was 4 and the government supplied a small bottle of milk to every child. I just googled why this free milk program begun. It began in Britain in the 1920's and in some other countries in the 30's because of the economic depression to help with the nutrition of children. It began in Australia in the 1950's. I can remember the milk arriving at school and the crates were stacked against the building, the milk wasn't refrigerated and in our summer...eeewwgghh! Well, Dad brought up flavouring to school for me. He just turned up with strawberry flavouring. He may have only done it a couple of times but I have such a vivid memory of this. I have so many memories like this so the 14th will be a day of mixed emotions, a two edged sword kind of day.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding some respite. I hope it goes well for both you and your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou. I'm rallying friends, neighbours and family to visit Dad so I can have some down time. Dad is very social so I'm hoping he enjoys the stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy things are working out. You sound a little apprehensive, please--just enjoy yourself and I know your Dad will, too. It'll be a great experience for both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand your mixed emotions about this, but just try to think about the fact that you will be more rested and clear headed with a nice break from the situation, and you'll appreciate him much more with a rested body and mind. We caregivers never take care of ourselves in this fight with Lewy, and though we "know" we need rest, we make excuses for why/how we can get through without it, to our own detriment, and that is a caregivers worst mistake. I am so very happy that you will get this opportunity, and it will be great for your since since he is a social butterfly. I'm counting down the days for you!

    ReplyDelete