Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Daughter's Graduation and Dad's pants.

Dad is having another week in respite. He seemed non-plus about going, neither wanting to nor not wanting to. His reaction reminded me of a teenager who doesn't want you to know their feelings. I personally think he was more pleased because he does enjoy company. This week I'm catching up with the dentist and having an overhaul by the doctor.

I received an email from the manager of the care facility asking me if I wished to place Dad's name on the waiting list for a permanent position. Dad likes the facility and so do I, and if Dad's respite stays continue to go well, then this place will be great, so I replied; yes, but I don't wish to take up the offer till the time is right. When that time comes, his name will be at the top of the list and everything should go smoothly, I hope.

During the past couple of weeks Dad has been well. My daughter had her Arts Degree graduation ceremony and Dad and I went. It was a fantastic day sharing the celebrations of so many talented people. My daughter had a magic day and was absolutely radiant with happiness. My daughter studied Arts at a country Uni, so we had a bit of a drive, all-in-all 7 1/2 hours. The event completely tired Dad out and for a few days after, he slept till lunch time. Oh and whilst we were having afternoon tea in the auditorium at the graduation ceremony, Dad's pants fell down...not to the floor but almost to his knees. I was holding onto my sandwiches and his sandwiches and all I could do was say 'Dad pull your pants up' a few times until he processed what I was saying and pulled them up. I'm afraid by the time he pulled them up I was in hysterics, laughing. Dad saw the funny side to it, luckily and I was very pleased that daughter had wandered off at that stage to chat with others because when I told her she said 'Ohhh it had to be my family'. I thought about the pants episode later and I think Dad is sometimes holding in his stomach muscles like you do when you breathe in. I had noticed that when I help him do up his pants he holds in his stomach muscles and I have to tell him to relax them. This kind of thing also happened when he was in the emergency department a few months ago and the nurse told him to breathe in so she could listen to his chest. When she had finished I had to tell him he could breathe normally.

My daughter and I have noticed Dad is showing some anger. If I have a shower he thinks I'm going somewhere and he is going to miss out. I say 'miss out' because it's not the fear of being left alone it's a 'I miss out'. It also happens at times when I have given Dad a meal and then daughter comes home from Uni, work etc and has a meal at a different time to us, Dad then thinks he has missed out on a meal. One evening Dad was growling under his breath and then stormed off early to bed. Daughter was a bit rattled by his behaviour because he is always so polite and passive. I think I will have to give Dad a small plate of food at those odd meal times so he doesn't become so bothered.

I'm finding it difficult at restaurants and in general when out, if there is no male present, to help Dad go to the toilet so I'm having a belated Mother's Day with my 2 girls on Saturday. We're going to have lunch and go to a few galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment