Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vistited Dad and 'Samson and Delilah' a movie

I visited Dad on Friday. Dad was in good spirits and had spent the afternoon doing arts and crafts. Dad was a terrific drawer, no, an amazing drawer when he was younger. It was he when I was little, if I was bored who said why don't you go and spend the afternoon drawing. He also told me about how he had won something but wasn't sure how he had won it or what he had won. I think it was answering questions about animals.

A woman called me aside and told me Dad had been incontinent a couple of nights and that they were putting him in a night nappy. This may seem strange but I was relieved that someone else had made this decision for me. I didn't want to put Dad in a nappy, it would seem like the last vestige had been crossed. At home Dad's incontinence episodes happen infrequently and if they continue like that then he will only wear the nappies when he stays in respite.

I had a terrific day, yesterday, with my girls and son-in-law. We had lunch at the veggie bar in Fitzroy, went to the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art and saw exhibits using, glass, light and sound. One being a massive structure with flood lights linked with a sensor that set off the lights and a speaker which sounded a very loud woooosh sound. People stood around waiting to see people's reactions. The interactive element changed the ambiance within the gallery so much with strangers chatting and laughing. We then went and saw an amazing movie, 'Samson and Delilah'. The most moving, haunting and beautiful movie I have seen in years. Its a love story of 2 Aboriginal teenagers in a remote community in the Central Australian Desert. The movie has great reviews and the showing we went to was sold out. But if I was to say it's about a boy who is addicted to petrol sniffing and that there is very little dialogue with the main character only speaking once you would think I was crazy but this movie works on so many levels. It was funny, tragic and beautiful and so very powerful. This movie will win awards and rightly so.
We then had dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant, yummo. I had a great day, thanks daughters and son-in-law.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful for you! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a nice day! Now I want to see the movie- I hope it's released over here at some point.

    ReplyDelete