Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I knew I felt tired.

I knew I felt tired but put it down to the situation, wakings through the nights and picking daughter up sometimes in the wee hours of the morning after she has finished working. Well, now I know there is another reason why I felt so tired. I went to see my dr to get my blood results and I have an under active thyroid. My dr told me to read about Hashimoto's disease and put me on Eutroxsig 100mcg (Thyroxine sodium) per day. This explains why I have found it difficult to shed 10 kilos and why I feel so tired plus some other symptoms like sore knees whilst I was painting the side fence to the point where it scared me because I could only kneel for 5 - 10 mins then I was in pain, bad pain. I look now at the nearly painted fence bar for the 3/4 along the bottom where I haven't finished and it makes sense. The dr also explained because Mum had Rheumatoid Arthritis and Dad has Pernicious Anemia that Hashimoto's was my auto-immune disease attached to (not sure whether he said the same gene) but it was typical of parents with these auto-immune diseases. I have to have another blood test in 3 months.

I also had high sugar levels after a fasting blood test. The dr phoned the pathologist whilst I was there to have further tests done on my blood, I have an appointment next Monday to find out these results. The dr discussed my sugar levels as being type 2 diabetes linking it to the extra weight I'm carrying. He wasn't specific in discussing this as he needs the blood results back.
I need to exercise more and hopefully the thyroid medication will now allow me to shed those 10 kilos. And there was more! I also have a mega Vitamin D deficiency and I'm now taking 75mcg (3 vit D tablets) per day for 3 months then see from blood tests whether to cut back the dose. This I can can understand as I don't get outside as much as I used to.

Fatigue is a symptom of the 3...I knew I felt tired.

And poor Dad was up at 3.30 am having breakfast, all the lights were on. I got up and asked him to go back to bed but he didn't want to go and I was too tired to argue. I got up at 8 and Dad had had 2 brekkys. At 11 am Dad was asleep at the table so he has gone back to bed for a nap.

Now I can see why I was finding it difficult to get Dad out and about. My patience level wasn't as it used to be and days out totally exhausted me. It all makes sense.

I'm still getting my head around things and need to work out a plan so I can begin to feel lively again.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your health but glad you took some time to get checked out. Hopefully with treatment, you'll be back to your lively self in no time. Wishing you all the best...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am sorry you have these ailments but truly glad that your doctor was able to diagnose you properly and get you the help you need to get back on your feet. So many times, with doctors, it is trial and error with so many possible illnesses that have similar symptoms.
    I'm happy you're going to get better with proper care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys,

    I'm already feeling energised...it's absolutely amazing how different I feel. I can't believe the difference. Bring it on!!

    ReplyDelete