Sunday, February 1, 2009

A little more slips away.

Is it the heat or part of the Lewy progression? Dad can't shampoo his hair anymore. The more I think about it as I write I think it's Lewy. For awhile, Dad has occasionally been putting the shampoo on his dry hair or getting out with dry hair and shampoo in it. I have ended up just saying hop back in and rinse your hair, trying to leave taking over life's functions until totally necessary. This morning he was too befuddled so I washed his hair for him, leaving him to soap up and wash himself. Eventually I can have someone come to shower him but will keep this at bay for as long as possible.
Also last night he woke at 3am shouting out for help. He had manoeuvred himself behind his TV in his bedroom, knocking off the aeriel, over a vase and a few other things. He was totally disorientated.
This morning he is in great spirits. I'm not a morning person! So after I hosed the garden for 2hrs, we are on water restrictions. No washing cars, windows, no hosing down of driveways etc. Can hose, 2hrs on 2 allotted mornings a week, at specified times. Our garden is med-large and with the heat, some poor plants are actually blackened, like they were going to self-combust. Came back inside, woke Dad up, helped with his brekky, medication, shower etc...As I said, I'm not a morning person. I love peace and quiet first thing in the mornings, but Dad is chirpy and jolly and wants to chat a lot. Even the people at the day centre where he goes have remarked how much he loves a chat. He can talk at inappropriate times. This happened whilst they were all watching a history show and a chap told him to be quiet. Poor Dad ended up teary and I was rang because he wanted to come home. So as I write Dad is reading out parts of the newspaper to me. He reads the paper every day...to himself and to me. Time to go prune or weed or something.
Yesterday it didn't get to 37, yay and today's forecast is for 31...sensational!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, I am so sorry. I can only imagine what you are going through. I'm not at the point where your Dad is but I am praying for both of you.

    Get through just today.

    Warmly.........David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UG. Totally remember those days. But hold on to the chirpy chattiness even if it is annoying. I hate to point out the obvious, but one day he won't talk at all or it will be slurred and that's all you'll want him to do is say one word. I would get so annoyed with my Dad and things he'd say until it stopped and then I felt horrible about it and wished he could say something, anything. So sorry if I'm being morbid, just don't do what I did, that's all I'm saying. Enjoy his chattiness right now and remember everything he's saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou David for including us in your prayers. Very much appreciated.

    And 'Life with Lewy', thankyou for your concern and frankness, helps to keep me grounded. Lack of sleep and the heat, and cabin fever...not a good combination. I just hope I can get through the real tough stage.

    ReplyDelete