Saturday, January 31, 2009

Unbearable Heat.

Yesterday we reached 45.1 degrees Celsius (113.18 degrees Fahrenheit) it's official, it's the hottest-known three-day heatwave we have had. Today's forecast is 39 then the low-mid 30's for 7 days, such a relief. Our state has a few bush fires raging and one in the suburbs in a National Park is threatening major transmission power lines which feeds 2/3 of the metropolitan area. Train tracks have buckled and power blackouts meant cancellation of a lot of train services, for a couple of hours all train services were cancelled, leaving 1000's stranded in the heat.
But OHMG Adelaide has had days and days of unbelievable heat (in the 40's) and has more to come of it, the next 7 days above 38. A headline reads '22 deaths in sweltering Adelaide', mostly elderly people.

Needless to say we've cancelled our ferry trip.
Dad is faring well. There are 3 air-conditioners in the house, 2 work and 1 doesn't, so I keep one room closed off with the air-conditioner on for Dad.

The other day when we pulled up out the front Dad said he saw a black dog, without an owner, go around the corner. I wasn't looking that way but I wanted to drive around and see if there was a black dog, I didn't. There may have been one...and maybe there wasn't but my stomach turned over.
Also Dad is becoming more hunched over and has a lean to the side. When I was helping him shower I said 'get your head under the water' and he couldn't straighten up or manoeuvre himself under the spray. So I moved the shower head.
He still remains in good spirits, never complains and wants to participate in life...I'm the one complaining about the heat.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard often how hot it is there... sounds completely unbearable. The Australian Open had to close its roof the other day b/c the heat was too much! Hope you guys are keeping cool. Sounds like a hot, hot summer!

    ReplyDelete