Friday, January 30, 2009

The Heat Wave Continues.

Yesterday was 43.4 degrees Celsius (110.12 degrees Fahrenheit), today 43 again. Poor Adelaide reached 46 degrees! And they have had days and days of heat. Our power went out Wednesday evening. There was an enormous explosion and a power pole, just around the corner burst into flames. I went outside and could see flames above the adjacent houses. The fire brigade arrived before the fire spread to any of the houses, thank goodness! Needless to say on Thursday, we couldn't remain in the house with no air-conditioning. So I took Dad to the library and to a shopping centre. It was like Xmas in the centre, so many people trying to escape the heat. When we returned home I sat Dad in the only bit of breeze I could find and put a wet towel on him. Later he had a cool shower and in bed I laid a wet towel on him and every hour re-wet the towel. Luckily the power came on again Thursday evening. How did people ever survive without air-conditioners? My cousin invited us to her house and if the power had have remained out, I would have taken up her kind offer.
This morning my younger Brother invited Dad to spend the day with him. Oh dear! My brother does a form of couriering. In and out of the car. It was difficult trying to explain to them both that he couldn't leave Dad in the car...43 degrees! Nor could he take Dad in and out of places in the heat. It's been about 3-4 months since my brother has taken an interest in Dad...why today, of all days! That's an example of the guidance my brother needs, he means well but...oh dear!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you poor things! As if that kind of heat isn't bad enough for ANYONE, it really scares me that your Dad is in it...everything I saw with my Dad and others with Lewy seems to point to the fact that their bodies simply do not cool/heat themselves...and the days we had temps above 100, my Dad was lethargic and even more confused. I had NO idea you had such weather at this time of the year! I am hoping that you get a cool-down ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou 'Life with Lewy'. Yes it's been quite scary, especially when the power went out. Even our 2 cats were so lethargic and one I had to take his water bowl to him, poor little thing.
    We were lucky the power came back on after 24 hr's, there are still some people without power. Not to mention the food in the fridge and freezer...tossed out. Cooler weather is on its way...such a relief.
    I've been watching Dad like a hawk...so far so good but I have noticed his Parkinson's hunch and shuffle are more pronounced in the heat. He is ok as long as he stays in our coolest room. He comes out for a chat, goes to loo etc and becomes more lethargic so I have to tell him to go and watch TV in the cool room.
    I had read about Lewy people and their temperature control problems and your comments reinforce this for me. I noticed last winter Dad REALLY hated the cold. I had to go buy an extra mink blanket for his bed and had to make sure he had his hat, gloves, scarf etc when we went out. Your comments have made me think about things I can do, to prepare for winter...buy him ugg boots instead of his slippers, perhaps thermal underwear etc.

    Hope you are OK, take care and lots of best wishes.

    ReplyDelete