Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Very happy with care facility

Dad is settling in. It took a couple of weeks. His body doesn't seem as frail. I think it's because throughout the night they turn him every 2 hours.
The layout of the facility works so well. The low care area is secured as well so they can leave the adjoining door open. All the places I had looked at, the low care area wasn't secured which would have prevented Dad from being able to participate in the low care activities. This has been a huge relief that Dad is able to join in with the arts and crafts, men's club, music sessions etc. I'm able to take him into the low care library and look at books with him.
They're having a concert by an Elvis impersonator in the auditorium this Thursday afternoon. Mum and Dad used to jive in the lounge room, with Dad whizzing Mum over each shoulder then between his legs.

Dad had a swallow test done and is on the verge of needing his liquids thickened. He'll be tested again in 6-8 weeks.

He still recognises all of us. He is walking better and using a frame. But has bad phases too. I just rang and was told that today he is screaming out my name. The staff wondered if it was because of an episode my younger brother had there yesterday. Wont be taking anymore of Brothers anger and manipulation when done in front of Dad!

All in all, I'm really impressed with Dad's care but not Brother's behaviour.

2 comments:

  1. So glad it is working out for your Dad. It really gives you a peace of mind I'm sure, knowing he is well taken care of. I'm still waiting for the call....
    Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all is well with you and that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and that the new year is good to you. Thanks for your support this year! I don't feel so alone in blogland thanks to people like you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete