Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Day

I picked Dad up and took him to my daughters for Christmas lunch. Daughters, son-in-law and cousins were there. One cousin had to work and was missed by all. Dad was having a super good day and there was much laughter and joy had by all. Dad still has his spark and he made us all laugh when daughter was telling everyone about some new developing successes she has had with her career when Dad piped up and said 'it all sounds like bullshit to me'. We all, including Dad, burst in to fits of laughter. Dad's appetite was good and-we-all-ate-TOO-much. It was better than the best day I could have hoped for. Dad only became confused and slightly agitated when some people left. I think he became anxious thinking was he meant to be leaving, what was happening etc because he was worried we were on the 8th floor and thought I had walked out past the balcony...8 floors up, that he was broke, that he owed my cousin money (none of which is true) and this was all said within one breath...sphew...Lewy had appeared. It was time to get back to his new home and settled. Once in the car Dad became settled and relaxed.

During the past few weeks I have visited Dad every 2-4 days. He has settled in really well, really well. He seems quite contented and accepting that the facility is his new home. It definitely is part of my Dad's nature which is still so very evident, the loving and understanding man is still with us. My Dad understands that I need to have my own life. He can still blow me away with his gentleness and compassion.

My Brother from interstate arrived last night with his 2 boys and have just left to take Dad out for the day. Dad is going to be tickled pink to see them.

Dad's health has been generally really good bar one of his legs swelled up and the other ankle. Blood tests were taken-no infection-and was put on fluid tablets.

I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you all, lots and lots of best wishes for the new year.

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy he had such a great day! It's wonderful that he has adjusted to his new home and seems content! I hope you are having ME-time and relaxing some!
    Happy Holidays!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like things are going very well. I'm very happy for you and your family. The facility sounds very good too. All the best to you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - I just wanted to say thank you for the blog. I'm in the process of reading it. My dad's got Lewy Body, and he's in the end stages. We are in Pneumonia round three currently. Anyway, hang in there. I know what It's like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom used to complain about money all the time. She never stopped. She thought everyone was stealing from her. It is sad but must be one of the stages they go throw. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and hoping all is well.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete