Friday, October 16, 2009

Hopefully Geriatrician can help.

I use this blog as my sounding board, a way to gather my thoughts.

I have been to look at a few nursing homes. The dilemma still is the high/low care division. Dad is in respite and is having behavioural problems. He will lay on the floor saying he wants to die. It can happen a couple of times a day. The staff try to help him up but Dad tightens up and needless to say, has been on the floor for an hour or so. They tried to lift him with a weight lifting mechanical device but Dad doesn't cooperate. Because of these behaviours Dad is classed as high care.
One high care place I saw, the majority of residents were immobile, all in big, comfy, recliners on wheels. The other high care place, the residents were very demented, a very sad place. Dad is neither. He still has a little spark left him. For example he sometimes does a jig to music, he looks forward to his favorite show on TV, loves a choccy treat, ice cream and visiting my cousins.
High Care is simply out of the question.
I rang Dad's Geriatrician and his wonderful Clinical Nurse has fast tracked an appointment for Oct 29th. Hopefully the Dr can sort out some medications to help Dad. This has put my mind at rest for the time being.

Absolutely HATE lewy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm hoping for happy results that will satisfy both you and your Dad! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete