Thursday, October 22, 2009

Decision made.

Dad saw the Geriatrician this morning. The Dr had a cancellation and thank goodness made the time available for Dad.

Since Dad has been home-
The first 2 nights...woah...the screaming...just awful! During the day Dad was quite bright, chirpy and happy.
Last night he slept through the night. BUT, this morning he was mega depressed. Was having trouble walking, he was like a sack of potato's...all saggy. At the table, his head kept falling forward and I had to feed him his brekky. Managed to shower him, dress him...not sure how.

At the Geriatrician's Dad was mopey, really long face, saying he felt sick, too this and too that, moaning and groaning. Dad was also saying things like he didn't know how he was going to get the car and repeated, 'I don't know' over and over again. Dr checked him over and his blood pressure is a little high. When leaving Dad was slumping, like he...it's hard to describe...more like didn't want to walk than couldn't. The Dr organised a wheel chair and his nurse helped Dad out and into the car.

The Dr was going to talk to a psychiatrist to affirm which anti-depressant to change Dad to and the change over procedure. Dad takes Aropax 30mg daily and is being changed over to one with a sedative quality to it. He also gave me a script for Clozapine which I can give Dad when he screams throughout the night.

Today was the first time I have seen Dad in such a bad state. It was the type of behaviour Dad displayed whilst in respite. The Dr commented on the decline Dad is showing and also said that Dad was now high care. I too could see that this behaviour would be hard to manage and now feel that a high care facility is appropriate. Sphew what a day. Plus, when we got home my younger brother had an episode of yelling!!!
This afternoon Dad's confusion was worse than usual. He has sobbed and asked God to take him. Lewy is sapping Dad's spark.

This afternoon I have started the ball rolling for getting Dad a permanent place in High Care. I posted the referral to have the assessment team reassess Dad from low to high. This is a government, mandatory procedure, required by all facilities.

Even though I knew this day was coming (the day of the decision), it doesn't make it any easier. I feel so drained. A very sad day.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think there is anything harder than what you are doing and it is all for the right reasons. Prayers and hugs for you from someone who knows what you are going through. Life is so hard sometimes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredibly difficult day for you and your dad. I'm sorry to hear of his decline- this disease is just awful.

    I hope you're able to get everything organised for your Dad with relative ease. Take care of yourself, too... I know, easier said than done. Wishing you all the best and much strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Even though you knew it was coming, it is still very, very sad when it happens. Please know that this is the best for your Dad and it will allow you more time to be a little bit more stress-free. I'm thinking of you.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete