Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Changes in Dad and I'm angry with Brothers.

On the weekend we had a visit from a cousin and his lovely partner. When I told Dad they were coming, Dad jumped up and went and had a shave. It was great to see him get excited but I'm afraid that Dad slept through most of their visit. When I visited Dad in respite, Dad, without fail would always ask how this cousin was (he had been unwell a few months ago).

Whats been happening since the visit to the Geriatrician-
The second night Dad was screaming so I gave him a Clonazepam. He only screamed once or twice after, then slept. The following day, Dad was walking the best I had seen for ages but was having hallucinations. There were Lewy people in the lounge room and someone was coming to do some work. He also was jumping up to look for things and moving things around. The following days Dad has been mega sleepy, sleeping for most of the day and he has slept through the night. He hasn't mentioned anymore hallucinations. I wont be giving him another Clonazepam. The rest full night for Dad and for me wasn't worth the dreadful confusion and hallucinations.
So is Dad still sleepy from the effects of the Clonazepam, did it trigger a sleep mechanism or is the sleepiness another Lewy phase. I have read on the Lewy forums that when the person starts to sleep 16 hours or more the end is near. I have also noticed since Dad became really sleepy a frailness, a weakness in his body. It's more than the Parkinson's movement problems it's a definite frailness. Seeing Dad becoming sicker is heart breaking. Hoping it's a phase and that Dad will regain some strength.

I'm really getting pissed off with my Brothers. In total Dad has been in respite for 8 weeks and my Brother who lives at home, visited once. He knows right from wrong. Once! He comes in and out of the house and can go for weeks without him even speaking or asking how Dad is. My other Brother who lives interstate phones roughly every 6 weeks. Not even once a week! Enough is enough. Brothers your Father is very sick-wake up!!!! Dad has been the best father, you couldn't choose a better Father. He doesn't deserve this treatment.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can feel your anger and you have very good reason to be so mad! It is so hard to do this alone. The least they could do is visit/call at least once weekly! Gr-r-r-r!

    (Don't blame you about not giving Dad the meds--sometimes the treatment is worse than the disease!)

    ReplyDelete