Friday, September 11, 2009

Sleep is a problem for Dad

Yesterday afternoon I took Dad for a drive up to the Yarra Valley, to Healesville. It's where he and Mum spent their honeymoon. He thoroughly enjoyed the drive through the picturesque country side. But finding a loo...drove through the town, the park's loo was far too far for Dad to walk. So pulled into a petrol station. I get the key and get Dad to the loo in time but had to keep opening the door and direct him.

In the early hours of this morning Dad was singing out, repeating over and over a sentence of jibber jabber ending with bow wow. Over and over, inhale ....la la la bow wow...exhale and repeated for a few hours. Then came the screaming. Went up to his room. He told me he was tied down. He had his pj's and nappy around his ankles. Changed him and put a towel on the bed and I went back to bed. Dad remained asleep till 10 and I managed to catch up on some sleep.
I have noticed since the nights have become worse that Dad is dozing on and off more through the day. No wonder. He must absolutely exhaust himself not being able to get some decent sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Bright light therapy might work: http://www.inthenews.co.uk/News/autocodes/countries/netherlands/bright-light-improves-dementia-symptoms-$1226794.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Weet. I read the link and will ask Dad's dr about the melatonin. I was aware of the bright light situation. I can remember telling Mum years ago about how they had found it helped with sleep disorders and that Dad should find out about it...never happened.
    It's spring here and warming up so Dad will be able to get outdoors more and hopefully that will help too.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete