Saturday, September 5, 2009

Daughter's Birthday.

Thursday my youngest daughter turned 23. Dad and I picked up both my daughters and first stop was having a look at my eldest daughters fashion photo exhibition which is part of fashion week. It was up 2 flights of stairs so youngest daughter stayed in the car with Dad. The exhibition was sensational, she is soooo talented. Then it was off to lunch. We had lunch at a restaurant overlooking the beach and the food was very yummy. I ordered Dad prawns which he thoroughly enjoyed but I wish they hadn't arrived with the tails still on as it threw Dad as to which part he could eat. Then it was back to daughter's place for cake and candles. It was a lovely day. Birthday daughter had a big night out with lots of friends, so all in all, she had a great birthday.

Dad continues to decline, with good days becoming fewer. The times he has trouble maneuvering himself down on to the toilet has increased. He also gets confused as to how to turn the tap on and off, at least he screams out for me so I can turn the tap off.
He is nowhere his usual cheery self. Some days he cries and says he wants to jump off a cliff. It's really awful to see. One morning he was so bad I rang my brother interstate to have a chat with him. My brother was able to bring him around, thank goodness.
Some nights Dad sleeps through to around 6 which is good for him and good for me. The other nights, well, they can be bad.

Dad just had a visit for Father's Day, which is tomorrow, from our cousins. They recently bought new cars and Dad was pleased to get to have a ride in one of them.

I put Dad on the list for a place a few months ago at the facility where Dad has stayed and phoned them last week about a permanent place. There is nothing until next year, so booked respite up till April. Have phoned other places and the shortest list is about 6 months so will be going to go have a look at that place. Will also contact my case coordinator to see what she can find.

The past couple of months I have had to reassess my plans for after something happens to Dad. I had wanted to get a few acres and have some chooks, ducks, vege garden etc but unless my health improves I don't think I would be able to maintain it. So apart from worrying about Dad I have had to get my head around my own issues. So, for the moment we're plodding along, taking things a day at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if it will help in your situation but my Dad was put on an anti-depressant and it seems to have helped quite a bit. A small dose of Celexa 10 mg and I can't believe the difference. My Dad is also waiting for long term care home - so frustrating! Good luck with it all and hang in there - you are a pretty amazing daughter to be doing what you have been fo your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dad's Dementia Decline, thanks for the kind words but Dad has been taking Aropax for a few years. Dad has suffered from bouts of depression throughout his life and was hospitalised in the 70's for a couple of months because of depression.
    This time it's Lewy, I have read where a chap with Lewy cried on and off for 3 months.
    It's hard to see him sobbing, my usually cheery Dad who was the one in the house as us kids were growing up who came up with a joke or did a jig around the house to make us laugh.
    mmmm just reminded myself of something I read, I'm going to try music to see if that can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi; I know what you mean - I grew up in the generation where Dad's weren't supposed to cry. So now when my Dad sobs, it literally breaks my heart. BTW, did the Aroprax work initially? My Dad had depression too and while I can hope his mood improvement lasts, from what I have read about dementia it gets worse. Hope the music helps - its something we are looking wtoo when we get dad is placed in a home because he has always loved music and I have read that it is very calming and soothing as well as that familiarity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know about your daughter’s birthday. My little princess will be turning 4 next week and planning a party at one of New York Event Venues. Will go with a Barbie themed party as she loves it a lot. Want to make the day best.

    ReplyDelete