Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hate Lewy

Things I have noticed over the past month-

Sometimes when I'm showering Dad he feels like he needs to poop. So dry him off help him to the loo. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.

Wiping with toilet paper really throws Dad, This is happening more often. He can't find the toilet paper (in same place as always), he tells me he has only one hand and can't, can't manoeuvre and find the toilet to put the paper in.

He is appetite isn't as good with him leaving some of his meal.

More coughing of phlegm. Plus wanting to wipe his mouth out. I read that LBD people can make more saliva and swallowing becomes a problem too.

There is a change in his daily passing of urine. I think on the verge of becoming incontinent of a day.

His lean is worse and his gait can be a shuffle sometimes.

He can no longer clean his dentures, dress himself, shower and sometimes I need to wipe his bottom. Will be buying some baby wipes. He still can feed himself but have had to sometimes give verbal directions on how to.

Most of the time he remains in good spirits. It really throws me when he is sad and sobbing. And REALLY throws me when he is scared. Such a reversal of roles.

He is freezing more, half way from standing to sitting. Plus he has trouble aligning the chair, his bottom goes off to the side. One night I thought he was going to break the loo, it happened so quickly, he sort of leaped backwards.

He is sleeping more throughout the day.

I wanted to take Dad to the zoo but because it's a day of walking and Dad can't walk for that long anymore, I think I need a wheelchair for some outings. Another hit by a bus moment.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be so very frustrating for you and for him. I have no wise words or advice. Just letting you know I'm thinking of you.
    (this is senior safari. I'm using my new Blogger ID)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is depressed lately, and she has never been before. (We have a Dr. appt Friday to address that) I feel so helpless!!!! Today she told me she thinks she needs to start wearing a pad. I tried to ask a few more questions, and she said she "feels wet down there". I asked her if it could be sweat, and she adamantly said, "IT'S NOT SWEAT!" So I got the pads and showed her a few times how to put one in her underwear. She couldn't really remember how, so I told her if I wasn't there, she should call a "helper" (aide) to help her. This just made her more depressed.

    Then she complained about the "helpers" who came into her room and told her it was "three am" and "five am". I told her it was her talking watch, but she was SURE it was a real person. I just HATE dementia. It sounds like my mom is very close to where your dad is functioning (or not)...just know you're not alone....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks BBB, hoping things are going well with your family.

    Carol, sorry to hear your Mum is having a battle with the blues and more. It's awful to watch your loved one become more and more helpless with time. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I did have one thought, pertaining to your comment regarding your dad's declining appetite, and the fact that he is coughing more. You might want to consult with a speech pathologist regarding his swallowing skills. I have found that many persons with dementia no longer have the language skills to tell us they are having trouble, or perhaps have lost the ability to recognize this. And so, they stop eating. Coughing and excess salivation can also be signs of swallowing problems. Remember, too, that your dad's caloric requirements are declining. He may also do better with "finger foods," especially since he is losing the ability to use utensils. Best of luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks jhede for the information, I will certainly get Dad's geriatrician to organise some tests.

    ReplyDelete